Thursday, April 14, 2016

Patrick: A Changed Heart Part 5

If you missed the previous sections: Patrick: A Changed Heart Part 1Part 2Part 3, and Part 4

God's Servant, 423 A.D.

     It has been seventeen years since Patricius left. The days and years have been even more lonesome than the few years after Patricius and I were captured before he followed Christ. Though I have shared the love of my Saviour with many here, none have chosen to follow Him. I am still alone in my faith. Many have followed the druidic gods and customs from childhood and live in fear of leaving the sorcery that enslaves them. I continue to persevere in faith that only Christ will rescue me from the struggle of this life to the hope of eternity forever with Him. As the years continued, many of the slaves who were here when I was brought to Ireland died. Almost a year after Patricius escaped, Ita died. I become one of the overseers with Etromma and new slaves took my former post. Miliucc is aging. Though Patricius's escape had caused so much anger within Miliucc, he soon returned to his old moods and demeanor.
     I have learned that Patricius is back in Ireland! When I heard from one of the slaves who had gone to the village that Patricius had returned, I almost started crying because of the joy of knowing he is still alive and well! I hoped he would come back to our Rath to visit me, that we might once again encourage each other and that maybe the people would listen to him. Every time someone comes back from the village, I hear more of what Patricius, now known simply as Patrick, is doing as a missionary in Ireland. During the years that he was gone, I learned, he was ordained as a priest and sent out as a missionary. He is teaching in villages throughout Ireland against the druidic practices and rather that God is the only God and that only faith in Christ's sacrifice will bring them eternal life. God is using Patrick to change the hearts of many of the Irish and to show them how to become children of God!
     When the news was brought back to the Rath, and Miliucc heard that Patrick had returned to Ireland, a fierce and frenzied anger came into his eyes. I saw the rage from seventeen years ago when Patrick escaped come back. I heard him say, "I will not let him rob me of more of my slaves! He will not take my possessions! He will never change me!"

–—-----

     Each day I hear of Patrick coming nearer to our Rath. I look forward to seeing my good friend again! But each day he progresses closer, Miliucc becomes more panicked. The whole Rath is stirring, ready to hear from the former slave.

–—-----

     As I have been doing since Patrick became a follower of Christ, early this morning I went outside the gate of the Rath to sing and pray before my day starts. While I was walking back to my room, those who greeted me were all talking about seeing Patrick today! They are in great anticipation of his arrival and excited to see this man everyone is talking about. As I hurried back to prepare for my day, I noticed Miliucc rushing about the Rath carrying fire brands. He is crazed and beside himself with anger. I fear what may happen today because of his hardened heart and violent, delirious actions! Even though this place is not my eternal home, I must do what I can to protect the people here from what evil Miliucc might bring upon this place.

-----

I, Patrick, found Rhoswen, crushed under a smoldering beam on death's door. She only had breath left in her to say to me, "Continue your work, Patrick. Our Lord has great things for you to do." Then she passed on to see the face of her Savior and example. She always showed Christ's love to all who crossed her path and ran her race with endurance, not growing weary but "looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God."
_______________________________________________________________________

Note: Saint Patrick was born in Bannaven Taburniae in Roman Britain to parents who were Roman citizens. Patrick grew up in an aristocratic household. When he was sixteen, his family's villa was raided by Irish raiders who took him captive and sold him into slavery. He was a slave for six years during which time God softened and changed his heart to believe in Him. Following his conversion, God sent Patrick several dreams which gave him directions to go home. But going back to and staying with his parents, who had escaped the raid, was not God's plan for Patrick. After a few more God-sent dreams, Patrick went to Gaul to receive training to become a missionary. God would use Patrick to turn almost all of Ireland to Himself.

Legend has it that Miliucc, rather than seeing Patrick again, burned his Rath down around him.

The prayer quoted in Part 3 is attributed to Saint Patrick.

1 comment:

  1. Good job, Jeanette! It's a good story and well told. I'm so glad to see you working at your writing. Praying that God will use your gifts for Him! (We'll talk about a few editing things . . . )

    ReplyDelete