Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Patrick: A Changed Heart Part 1

Life in Bannaven Taburniae, 400 A.D.

     Today I began my work as maidservant to Bretta, daughter of Calpurnius. I woke early this morning extremely nervous to start my day of service! Growing up on Calpurnius's villa, I have seen that Bretta's character is one which is kind and caring. She makes friends easily with anyone and always acts in an admirable, generous way. Her brother, Patricius, however, is rude and unkind. He does not respect those around him and has often shown derision towards many of the servants. Fortunately though, I do not think I will have to spend a great deal of time with Patricius.
     Bretta was extremely patient with me today as I learned my daily tasks. I am to begin each morning at dawn by going to the well just outside the villa's walls and drawing a bucket of water for Bretta to wash her hands and face. It is so cold in the morning and waking at that time is difficult. My mother always has breakfast and a warm fire for our family before we all go to the villa. Everything is dark except the few spots of light from other cottages that dot the grounds on the villa. Thankfully, I am used to carrying the water pail from the well as I do it for our family nearly every day. For Bretta, I bring the water pail to the kitchen for the cooks to heat and then carry the warmed water to Bretta.
     After I wake her and she washes her hands and face, I then help her dress for the morning worship time led by her grandfather, the presbyter, Potitus. I greatly enjoyed the worship time. Potitus is such an amiable man, who cares for even the lowest of the servants on the villa. As the family entered the chapel, Potitus greeted each of the family members and all the servants with equal and genuine kindness. I felt welcomed and accepted through his wonderful example of Christ, serving all and encouraging everyone to follow the Lord.
     Following the family worship time is the morning meal. During this time I am to help with serving the prepared food and drink to the family, specifically to Bretta. I fear someday I will spill on her.
     Each day, Bretta and Patricius take a horse ride if the weather is fair. Patricius's manservant, Cyric and I attend them. As I have not had the training that Bretta and Patricius have had on horseback, Patricius mocked me almost the entire time we rode. I thought that Patricius was very harsh with me; I am not a bad rider, but I am just not as good as Bretta or Patricius. I will dread this time of the day unless the weather turns foul. Otherwise any day we ride I will expect to be continually insulted.
     I was glad to continue my other tasks that morning as long as I was not near Patricius. I helped Bretta as she learned her household duties and often I was learning how to complete the tasks right alongside her. She is expected to be prepared for marriage and I must be ready to aid her in whatever she needs. How anyone can be ready to run a household as the matron at such a young age, I don't understand. Nor do I understand how I can help! But as much as we have to learn, we have many to teach us and much encouragement from our mothers who both had to master what we are learning now.
     After the mid-day meal, Bretta and Patricius spend time learning the Scriptures from Potitus, who pours his heart and soul into teaching them by word and deed. Today they studied in the book of Hebrews, looking at this section:
"Wherefore, holy brethren, and partners of heavenly calling, behold ye the apostle and the bishop of our confession, Jesus, which is true to him that made him, as also Moses in all the house of him. But this bishop is had worthy of more glory than Moses, by as much as he hath more honour of the house, that made the house. For each house is made of some man; he that made all things of nought is God. And Moses was true in all his house, as a servant, into witnessing of those things that were to be said; but Christ as a son in his house. Which house we be, if we hold firm trust and glory of hope into the end. Wherefore as the Holy Ghost saith, To day, if ye have heard his voice, do not ye harden your hearts."     Bretta loves learning from the scriptures; she shows the love and kindness that Christ showed while here on earth. Patricius, though very intelligent, does not live what he learns.
When Potitus concluded teaching Bretta and Patricius, Bretta and I continued our household duties with her mother, Enica. After which, we prepared for supper and the evening family worship. Supper and the evening family worship are much the same for my responsibilities to Bretta as the morning meal and worship time.
There is so much I must remember to do throughout the day. I am exhausted but grateful to serve such a kind mistress. The light of our fire is getting low and I must rest for tomorrow.

------–—

     Many weeks have gone by since I began my work for Bretta. I have finally learned our daily routine quite well (with only a few spills and mishaps!). Every day I learn more from Bretta and see the gracious compassion she shows to all. She is as sympathetic, kind, and patient a mistress as anyone could want.
     As far as Patricius, whom I see and interact with daily, he is as different from Bretta as could be. He is rude, arrogant, and domineering. He cares for no one but himself. Nothing will soften his heart, but I often hear Bretta make supplications to God for his heart to be won over to Him. I know she loves Patricius and wishes him to belong to Christ. Her example of love toward her brother has reminded me of my need to show him Christ's love despite the contempt he shows me. Bretta has encouraged me to pray for him when he is rude to me. But I find it hard to pray for and care for one who mocks me constantly, whatever I do. When Bretta and I are alone, she encourages me to love and forgive him as Christ loved and forgave those who mocked Him. And when I think of Christ and His suffering, mine becomes easier to bear.
As Christ gives me the energy to work through the day, I know He will give me strength to show His love to Patricius.  At times I wonder what good it will do.  But I do pray that Patricius will someday see Christ's love through his sister and grandfather (and perhaps even me) and that somehow Christ will change his life to a life of service to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment