Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Patrick: A Changed Heart Part 2

If you missed the previous section: Patrick: A Changed Heart Part 1

Captured, 401 A.D.

     Yesterday Bretta informed me that her father has arranged for her betrothal to Thorontor, the son of a neighboring governor. A year from now she will be married. I was not very surprised, but I was a bit taken aback. One year is not long enough to prepare and we both have much work to do—her for her marriage and I for her aid through everything. Our daily routine has continued much the same as since I began my service to Bretta, but we have more of a purpose to our learning now that her marriage has been arranged. Still, she daily studies the scriptures with Potitus, carefully examining the scriptures and their message to her as a wife.
     Last night as we were preparing to sleep, Bretta told me that she is scared. She is scared to be leaving her familiar home. She is nervous about running her own house. She wants to be a godly wife to her future husband, but she is afraid to leave the protection of her father's household. After a year of serving my mistress, I was the one to encourage her. It was so different and strange not to be the one struggling and to be the one to help her. I was excited to be able to listen to her and pray with her. After we had talked and cried we lay down to sleep.
     As I lay on my cot in the corner of her room, she said to me, "Rhoswen, you've been more than a servant to me. You have become a dear friend and a great comfort to me in my time of need. I am thankful to God that you encourage me to keep trusting Him for all I need." I told her that her demonstration of Christ's love has brought me such encouragement many times when I felt dejected. After talking for a little while longer, we fell asleep.
     This morning Bretta and I began our day with smiles on our faces, refreshed and rejoicing in our newfound understanding. Yes, I still am Bretta's servant and she is my mistress, but we are friends. Our friendship is bound through our faith and hope in Christ. I was overjoyed knowing that I am not seen as just a servant in Bretta's eyes. After the morning worship and meal, Calpurnius and Concessa left to conclude the legal dealings with Thorontor. Bretta wished to spend the morning alone with Potitus. I was left alone for a little while and spent some time praying for Bretta and our future life, but after a short while went back to my work.

------

     Five days ago, when I last wrote, everything was well at Calpurnius's villa. But that day such calamity fell. The disaster that befell our home brings anguish to my mind. My heart sinks just thinking of it.
     I had just gone out into the courtyard of the villa to gather up the day's washing, when I heard clanging swords and wild yells. Patricius ran into the courtyard in a panic and shouted for everyone to prepare for battle against the Irish raiders. All the men at the villa raced around preparing for a fight; all the women helped where they could, many also finding weapons to defend their home. I rushed to the chapel to look for Bretta and Potitus to warn them but they were nowhere to be found. I wondered if they were safe, but there was nothing I could do. Terror gripped me as I felt helpless and alone. I thought I should hide, but remembered the stories of the Irish raiders burning down whatever they left. I cried to God for protection for Bretta, Potitus, and all the ones defending the villa and gripped a staff I had found for protection.
     Our little group of men and women guarding the villa was no match for the strong band of Irish raiders. Everything happened so quickly. It was chaotic and terrifying. A few of our men were killed but most of us were taken hold of and bound, hands behind our backs and roped together in a long line. Our feet were bound so we could take only short steps. I was terrified, wondering what would become of us.
     Somehow I was next to Patricius when we were bound; he was behind me as we walked. I could tell he was angry, probably more because his pride was injured than for any other reason. My first thought when I saw him being bound was that this was my chance to retaliate against him. I could mock him and deride him just as he had done to me, but my conscience smote me against such an un-Christ-like attitude. I could not imagine being in his place—to be torn away from everything he knew and thrown into humiliating servitude. I prayed to God, appealing to Him for His strength that I might continue to show Patricius His love and that Patricius would not see me acting as though I were ridiculing him, but that he would see that I really do care for him.
     As we were marched down the beach, every step felt like a knife cutting into my wrists and ankles. The march was long and the pain was immense. When we reached the boats on the shore, they untied the ropes around our feet so that we would be able to climb into the boats waiting to take us away to slavery in Ireland. There were many others captured from nearby villages. As I looked around at their faces, I could see the fear and panic in their eyes. It wrenched my heart to see so many people in such anguish.
     The journey in the boats was long and tiresome. Patricius was seated next to me. I tried to speak to him to give him hope, but the raider guarding us yelled at us to be silent anytime I tried to talk. All I could do was talk to my Heavenly Father who I knew heard my pleas. I knew slavery must lie ahead, but I wondered how it would differ from the servitude I was used to. Would my new master be kind or harsh? Would I befriend anyone? Would there be anyone to encourage and comfort me when I needed that? All these thoughts churned in my mind as we were driven out of our home. 
     When we arrived on the shores of Ireland, our feet were bound once again and we were placed back in line. We started our torturous march to the center of the port village where we were thrown into dungeons to await the slave auction on the following day. I heard many of the prisoners weeping. I saw fathers and mothers striving to comfort their frightened children, husbands trying to reassure their wives, friends attempting to ease their friend's fears. It was a hopeless scene.
     That night I never slept. I thought of home and of Bretta; I thought of the courage and faith which she had always shown and I knew that if she were alive she would be fervently crying out to God for our safety. I spent the night in prayer to my Almighty God for all those in the dungeon. Though I was scared about what would happen in the coming days and most likely years, I thought of the scripture we had read just a few days ago about the faith of Abraham who left his homeland to follow God's promise, not even knowing to what land he was going. I remembered that God must have a purpose for these events and I could trust His goodness to prevail.
     The port village began to bustle at sunrise. All the prisoners were brought out and lined up behind the auction block, ready to be sold. Patricius and I were again next to each other in the line of soon-to-be-slaves.
     The auction began. The language they spoke sounded similar to our language but a little more rough and rustic. The prisoners were bought quickly and soon Patricius and I were the next ones brought onto the auction block. My sale was first and as I was thrust onto the block, I quietly prayed that God would protect me and Patricius. We were both bought by a man named Miliucc, whom I later found out is a local king. It was comforting to have a familiar face from home even though I would not have chosen to be in slavery with Patricius.
     We were taken back to his dwelling, a place two days inland from the sea. Miliucc's dwelling is a circular stronghold, which they call a Rath. The servants quarters are on the outer edge of the Rath in small lean-to's. After being shown our quarters we were told what would be our required tasks. Patricius is to be one of Miliucc's sheepherders. I am to be one of the cooks. I, along with two other women, must prepare the food for all the inhabitants of Miliucc's Rath.
     Miliucc is not harsh, but he is not pleasant to be around. I think of Bretta often and her kind treatment to me. But I trust that God has a plan for me in this foreign land, though I may never know why.

No comments:

Post a Comment